Re: Concerns

   Date: Mon, 16 Sep 1996 16:59:53 -0700
   From: John Lawler <jlawler@vpnet.com>

   It is rather clear from the recent traffic and from the votes in Montreal
   that people are split down the middle over SKIP vs ISAKMP. At this point I
   believe pretty much everyone is talking past each other. Based on this
   rather deeply entrenched split, I honestly do not believe this issue is
   going to be resolved now or even in San Jose.

Well, at the IPSEC wg, what I saw was a small group of people who wanted
SKIP, a small group of people who wanted ISAKMP (and I won't try to
characterize which of the two small groups were bigger, more technically
comptentent, or has better-substantiated paternity), but the vast
majority of the room were from vendor-types who said, "we don't care
which one you choose; we're not competent to make that choice.  But we
don't have to implement two solutions.  Pick one."

So, I think we have to do that; granted, the wg consensus process isn't
well suited for that.  But that's why we have an Area Director, an IESG,
and an IAB.  If you recall, the chartering of a design team to try to
come to one solution had a fallback solution if that design team did not
come to consensus.

						- Ted