Re: Concerns

I am working on a solution. Expect to hear from me late on Thursday.

                            -Jeff Schiller
                             IESG Area Director for Security

Date: Tue, 17 Sep 1996 17:51:42 -0400
From: "Theodore Y. Ts'o" <tytso@mit.edu>
To: John Lawler <jlawler@vpnet.com>
Cc: ipsec@TIS.COM, "Theodore Y. Ts'o" <tytso@mit.edu>
Subject: Re: Concerns
Address: 1 Amherst St., Cambridge, MA 02139
Phone: (617) 253-8091
Sender: ipsec-approval@neptune.tis.com

   Date: Tue, 17 Sep 1996 16:33:04 -0700
   From: John Lawler <jlawler@vpnet.com>

   That is not the case. I estimated the attendance for the votes at about
   250-300 people (almost all of whom said they had read both specs, BTW), and
   each vote showed half the hands in the room voting yes, and half the room
   voting no, for each question asked. There seemed to be very few abstentions
   at all, so I cannot agree with your characterization of either SKIP or
   ISAKMP having the support of only a small group. As to the particular vote
   you mention, I believe that only perhaps 12-15 people raised their hands as
   having no preference (which shocked me, by the way--I also expected small
   core groups and lots of abstentions).

Hmm... my recollection of the IETF montreal straw poll was about 25-30
people saying that they wanted SKIP, and about the same number wanting
ISAKMP, with the rest abstaining.  I talked to Jeff about this earlier
last week, and that was his recollection as well.....

							- Ted