Re: IPSEC WG chairs unresponsive, disruptive, and biased

John,

>From:     John Gilmore
>I too submitted revisions to the draft Montreal minutes, ....
>None of these revisions were reflected in the minutes posted this week
>by the co-chairs.

After the posting of the last IPsec minutes you posted some "additions":

>Date: Mon, 05 Aug 1996 23:55:26 -0700
>From:     John Gilmore <gnu@toad.com>
>
>Some minutes additions from my own notes:

You never asked that the minutes be modified.  It is a pain in the @#$% to get
the minutes out.  If you have specific contributions please be clear.  If you
think that the minutes are in error, give specific suggestions for text
replacement.  The minutes were already in the IETF archive and your
"additions" were interpreted by me to be mail list comments and not a specific
request to change the already submitted documentation.  There is a fairly
tight deadline to get the minutes into the IETF.  In the future we will post
the minutes in draft form to the list for review and approval.

>I have heard complaints from a wide variety of people about the
>conduct of the IP Security working group co-chairs.

So have I, please calm down and address your own concerns rather then spread
third party complaints.  These other "complaints" were pushed very hard in
July and August.  Ashar had attempted to remove my co-chair (Ran) for bias
through complaints to the IAB.  The accusation stated that there must be an
unfair bias since his employer had announced a implementation that was not
based on SKIP (please excuse my terse summary).  This issue was addressed by
the IAB and no grounds or evidence for "bias" were found.

Speaking as the other co-chair, I can honestly claim to have no bias for any
of the proposals in the key management debate.  My company currently has no
investment in any of the technologies.  If I were forced to implement an IPsec
key management system today I would select SKIP.  As a co-chair I have been
careful not to bias the group or push my opinion on the specific proposals
being offered.

I have also seen no specific bias by my co-chair against the SKIP technology.
We both have a responsibility to moderate this groups discussions which does
force us to comment on the nature and timing of posting that are
inappropriate.  We are also in the difficult position of determining
consensus.  The working group is split in it's views.  No bias has created
this situation.  The frustration with this deadlock obvious.  The deadlock is
being resolved.

Many vendors on this list have invested in key management technologies (SKIP,
ISAKMP, Photuris, YAKMP, MKMP, KMP, SAMP, and others). This makes the upcoming
decision on direction very sensitive.  We need to put aside the posturing and
move forward.

>But I continue to see
>examples of how the co-chairs act to disrupt and skew, rather than to
>foster, the process of reaching rough consensus.  I will refrain from
>speculation on whether this is intentional on their part, or whether
>they are merely not suited to the task of managing a complex and
>contentious working group.

Please John, such general accusations are very unfair.  I do admit pounding my
"virtual gavel" once in the last month on a posting by Rich Skrenta. If you
have specific problems with the working group process or minutes first e-mail
or call me (preferred) to work them out.  We need to reduce the noise on the
mailing list.  The issues are better worked out directly then by e-mail
broadcast.  As for opportunities to "skew" the process, there is very little
that I can do to push opinions one way or the other.  If there was a way to
push the group, we would have consensus now and not be split into factions.
This is why we will soon have a decision mandated.

>IESG readers may not have seen Ashar Asiz's recent messages regarding
>how the coverage of his SKIP proposal in the minutes has been highly
>biased for the last two working group meetings.

No, his comments were on the last minutes and the December 1994 minutes
(nearly two years ago).  "Highly biased" is subjective ... the minutes will be
edited until all parties interested agree that they are not incorrect (note -
I don't want to starting adding significant text).  Please consider that good
will would be generated in the working group as a whole (perhaps even
consensus) by editorial suggestions (minutes or the specifications) that are
submitted as constructive and clearly defined changes rather than combative
complaints.

>In my particular case, the minutes report that Jeff's straw polls
>"showed significant differences of opinion between Oakley/ISAKMP and
>SKIP", when in fact, as Jeff had told me in advance, he had
>deliberately structured his questions to avoid doing straw-polls on
>particular algorithms.

Please send direct text replacement for minute changes.  I plan to avoid
recording any of the straw poll numbers since the IETF does not vote and
because there seems to be several versions of these numbers.  The basic
conclusion was that there was not consensus.  A decision will be mandated by
the Security Directorate.

Please try to facilitate this decision.  Once again, we need to move forward
based on this decision.

Regards,

Paul

PS - unresponsive...?

>Subject:  IPSEC WG chairs unresponsive, disruptive, and biased

While I feel obligated to directly answer complaints about the co-chairs to
the mailing list, I do have a real job that can create a several day response
lag to e-mail.  If you are referring to the minutes... we will do what it
takes to correct the existing minutes (not Dec 94).  Responding to combative
complaints is not constructive and I hope that we find a better way for us all
to contribute.

Paul Lambert                     Director of Security Products
Oracle Corporation               Phone:         (415) 506-0370
500 Oracle Parkway, Box 659410     Fax:         (415) 633-2963
Redwood Shores, CA  94065       E-Mail: palamber@us.oracle.com
"Secure Jobs"  ->  send resumes to: palamber@us.oracle.com

-- BEGIN included message

I too submitted revisions to the draft Montreal minutes, to provide a
web pointer for my "rapid IPSEC deployment" proposal, and to record
what specific questions were asked by Jeff Schiller at the end of the
"key managment" meeting, and what the rough votes in response were.
None of these revisions were reflected in the minutes posted this week
by the co-chairs.

I have heard complaints from a wide variety of people about the
conduct of the IP Security working group co-chairs.  A certain amount
of it I could attribute to general grousing.  But I continue to see
examples of how the co-chairs act to disrupt and skew, rather than to
foster, the process of reaching rough consensus.  I will refrain from
speculation on whether this is intentional on their part, or whether
they are merely not suited to the task of managing a complex and
contentious working group.

I would welcome input from the Working Group and from IESG members on
how to handle this situation.  I think it has been swept under the rug
for far too long.

IESG readers may not have seen Ashar Asiz's recent messages regarding
how the coverage of his SKIP proposal in the minutes has been highly
biased for the last two working group meetings.  I'll be glad to
forward them to interested parties, or they can be found in this
week's ipsec@tis.com mailing list archives.  Here is an excerpt:

> Also, when there are competing proposals, I believe some
> consideration should be given to fairness in the way the various
> proposals are described. I refer specifically to the use of
> adjectives such as "significant overhead", "hard to implement
> and scale" and "claimed" support of multicast when describing
> SKIP. By contrast, adjectives used for ISAKMP/Oakley are
> "very general", "very flexible", etc.

In my particular case, the minutes report that Jeff's straw polls
"showed significant differences of opinion between Oakley/ISAKMP and
SKIP", when in fact, as Jeff had told me in advance, he had
deliberately structured his questions to avoid doing straw-polls on
particular algorithms.  Here's the minutes coverage, followed by my
unaccepted revisions to the minutes.  Jeff should have notes that
confirm which description is more complete and more accurate.