Re: resistance to swamping attacks.

> I think your conditions are automatically satisfied for any protocol,
> if you assume sufficient processing speed in the host.

John (and I) said "system", not "protocol".

> If you don't make that assumtion, that you have to specify the
> assumed processing speed in some way, in order to get a bound on the
> computation you will allow a candidate protocol to require.  And we
> all know what happens to assumptions about processing power.

Right, but as compute power on the system under attack goes up, it
becomes *easier*, not harder, to keep doing productive work in the
face of a swamping attack.

If we can solve the problem for currently available commodity systems,
we're probably on the right track.

						- Bill