NOTICE: DSS Profile for X.509 Certificates to be deleted.

I received the following message from the Internet-Drafts Administrator about
a month ago regarding the deletion of the I-D John Marchioni and I co-authored
on a "DSS Profile for X.509 Certificates".  This draft was submitted only as
an interim solution since the PKIX was just coming up to speed and had not yet
included this material in the PKIX draft.  I do not know exactly what the
status of the X.509 DSS profile is in the PKIX document so I am sharing this
current status information with you now.  As far as I know DSS Certificates
are being used in both the SKIP and ISAKMP/Oakley reference implementations
and the aforementioned draft is cited in the applicable I-D's for these key
management protocols.

I have a number of choices:

a) Do nothing and let the draft gracefully expire.
b) Update and submit a revised draft of draft-ietf-ipsec-dss-cert-00.txt.
c) Pester the PKIX editors to make sure this material gets absorbed into their
next draft if it is not already there. (hint, hint...:) )

My preference and intention is to do (a) and (c) and at most submit a revised
draft that simply points to PKIX.  It is not clear that a revised draft is
even necessary if current IPSEC and other working group drafts which point to
draft-ietf-ipsec-dss-cert-00.txt are revised to now point to pkix-3.

So, if anybody thinks I need to do (b) let me know.  Otherwise, please reset
your DSS / X.509 certificate pointers, questions, and comments to their proper
home in PKIX.

Thanks,

-John Kennedy