Re: resistance to swamping attacks.

> From: Steven Bellovin <smb@research.att.com>
>
> 	 > From touch@isi.edu
>
> 	 But then you're authenicating the signature, but not the packet
> 	 itself, no?
>
> 	 In that case, I can replay a signed connection-establishment request
> 	 with random source addrs.
>
> Depends on what you sign.  In my note, I said ``in principle''....

> From touch@ISI.EDU Fri Sep 20 12:32:53 1996
> From: touch@ISI.EDU
>
> So, it might be the case that, in order to avoid swamping attacks,
> we need two kinds of authentication:
>
> 	- whole packet (to keep converstations secure)
>
> 	- header only (for fast processing to check for
> 		swamping)
>
> If so, do we need another kind of header?
> (IP-AH specs only the first)

Except that, as a colleague here pointed out, checking authentication
of SYNs costs much more than keeping the half-open connection block.

That's the argument for *not* needing a header-only authenticator.

Joe
Joe Touch - touch@isi.edu		    http://www.isi.edu/~touch/
ISI / Project Leader, ATOMIC-2, LSAM       http://www.isi.edu/atomic2/
USC / Research Assistant Prof.                http://www.isi.edu/lsam/