Re: Using cookies to defeat syn-flooding

> From ipsec-request@neptune.hq.tis.com Mon Sep 23 05:51:48 1996
> From: Ron Rivest <rivest@theory.lcs.mit.edu>
> Date: Fri, 20 Sep 96 17:14:38 EDT
> To: ipsec@tis.com
> Subject: Using cookies to defeat syn-flooding
>

> Here is a thought on a scheme for defeating swamping (syn-flooding)
> attacks, together with an improvement suggested by Butler Lampson.
> Since I'm not an expert on network protocols, it needs review by those
> who are...
>
> Flooding attack (paragraph to define problem and establish terminology):

> The idea:
>
> Defer A's allocation of resources until A has some confirmation that
> B is "real". (I.e. until the third message of the three-message protocol
> is received from B).

This is the key issue - deferring resources. As others have
pointed out, this includes CPU time.

> How:
>
> When A receives the first SYN packet, it does NOT generate a queue
> entry.  Rather, it sends B, as part of its return SYN packet,
> a "cookie" that contains the information that the queue entry would have:
> 	-- source id of the SYN packet received
> 	-- when to time the connection request out
> 	-- port number
> 	-- other stuff (?)
> The cookie would contain this material in the clear, together with
> a cryptographic checksum (MAC) on this data, computing from the data
> of the cookie and a secret key known only to machine A.

> When B replies, he returns the cookie, which A checks.  A cookie with
> an invalid MAC is discarded.  A cookie with a good MAC that has not
> timed out and which has not already been honored will generate a new

The time-out, together with the resources to store the cookie
and associated info, is the resource that needs to be
deferred.

So this has the same problem. Rather than tying up a TCP control block,
this will tie-up your "cookie" table.

The presumption here must be that, by sending a cookie, the receiver
can time-out quicker. This can't occur, since a gap in the cookie-exchange
has no effect on the timeout of the TCP connection establishment.

Joe
Joe Touch - touch@isi.edu		    http://www.isi.edu/~touch/
ISI / Project Leader, ATOMIC-2, LSAM       http://www.isi.edu/atomic2/
USC / Research Assistant Prof.                http://www.isi.edu/lsam/