Re: CBC vs. ECB

> >      So CBC is more secure than ECB!  I've been accepting statements such
> >      as this as gospel for a while, but now I'm not so sure.  Please excuse
> >      my ignorance, but...
>
> ECB modes have a very bad property: repeated instances of the same
> message encrypted under the same key form the same ciphertext. CBC
> does not have this property.

But this is true whether or not you have an IV, and that's where this
thread started.  Yes, with no IV, a constant first block will always
come out the same if you begin again with the same key.  But if an SA
includes an IV, it would seem to me to be as easy to change the key
as to change the IV.
Matt Crawford          crawdad@fnal.gov          Fermilab
  PGP: D5 27 83 7A 25 25 7D FB  09 3C BA 33 71 C4 DA 6A