Re: Short keys * Options, combinations, and negotiations => simplicity

>3) In software, 3DES is often nearly as cheap as DES in practice, as
>   I've found. Unless you are pounding bits really hard, your
>   bottleneck is frequently not your data transmission speed.

Some data points. My own DES and 3DES code runs at 15.9 and 6.2
megabits/sec, respectively, on a 133 MHz Pentium under BSDI. As Perry
says, this is not even noticeable over most communication paths.
Certainly not the ones I'm most concerned about, such as my ISDN
connection and the external Internet.

The 3DES code runs somewhat faster than 1/3 the speed of the single
DES code because I've removed the inner initial and final permutation
pairs that cancel each other out.

The core of the code is in hand-optimized assembler. Both GNU and
Borland C versions are included, though the GNU version is faster
because it assumes 32-bit mode. I consider my code public domain and
will email it to anyone who states they're a US citizen or permanent
resident.

I too routinely encrypt as much as I can with SSH, including all
interactive and file transfer sessions between work and home, and even
the HTTP connections between Netscape on my local machines and the web
cache over at SDSC. SSH's TCP connection- forwarding feature makes
this pretty easy to do.  And with compression also enabled in SSH,
response over my ISDN link is faster than with no SSH in the path.

Phil