Suggestion for ESP 3DES MD5 document

Ref:  Your note of Thu, 24 Oct 1996 09:44:57 -0500 (attached)

 > Ran,
 >
 >         Thanks for the reminder message.  Work is underway to revise ESP as
 > per the Montreal discussion and resolution, so we ougt not create any new
 > transforms per se.  Instead, authors of transforms should go back and
 > develop I-Ds that specify the algorithms used, independent of the
 > combinations of the algorithms.  So, we need brief descriptions of DES-CBC,
 > 3DES-CBC, HMAC-MD5, HMAC-SHA1, etc.
 >
 > Steve

I have submitted a while ago an informational RFC on HMAC.
The description is independent of any combination of algorithms
or any particular application (and not tied to MD5 or  SHA),
so you (and others) may find it useful.
SInce the process of RFC publication is taking
very long these days, I will send in the next message
the draft RFC as I submitted to the IESG.

Hugo