Re: Suggestion for ESP 3DES MD5 document

Steve,

At 09:44 AM 10/24/96 -0500, you wrote:
>        Thanks for the reminder message.  Work is underway to revise ESP as
>per the Montreal discussion and resolution, so we ougt not create any new
>transforms per se.  Instead, authors of transforms should go back and
>develop I-Ds that specify the algorithms used, independent of the
>combinations of the algorithms.  So, we need brief descriptions of DES-CBC,
>3DES-CBC, HMAC-MD5, HMAC-SHA1, etc.

Having just created a "new transform", I thought it best to alert the list
of a new internet draft for 3DES-CBC (see below). Note that it also adds
compression, HMAC and replay prevention. It is based on Hughes DES-CBC draft.

Given the move to define the algorithms separately and provide the
algorithm selection information in the ESP document, I would like to
propose that optional use of compression be added as an integral part of
ESP. The only discussion of compression to date has in brief mention within
some of the key management protocol drafts. Additionally, another draft
(draft-thayer-seccomp-00.txt) has been proposed to provide compression
within an ESP payload.

With the increasingly pervasive use of compression within PPP, all of the
encryption that will be done to implement VPNs (or any other network layer
encryption applications) will end up costing businesses additional line
charges due to the inability to compress encrypted data. When you're
talking about T1 rates and greater, this is not small change. As a result,
I think it is critical for the ipsec framework to support the optional use
of compression. I would also suggest that the additional fields be included
in a revised ESP. I propose that the newly submitted draft (see below)
along with the Thayer draft be examined as starting points for such
discussion.

On the specifics of the 3DES included in the draft below, as someone else
on the list had mentioned earlier (don't recall who), ANSI is currently
nearing completion on a 3DES draft (X9.52). The 3DES in our draft is based
(in part) on that work.

Comments are appreciated.

Bob Monsour
rmonsour@earthlink.net