Re: Suggestion for ESP 3DES MD5 document

At 6:20 PM 10/25/96, Bob Monsour wrote:

>... With the increasingly pervasive use of compression within PPP, all of the
>encryption that will be done to implement VPNs (or any other network layer
>encryption applications) will end up costing businesses additional line
>charges due to the inability to compress encrypted data. When you're
>talking about T1 rates and greater, this is not small change. As a result,
>I think it is critical for the ipsec framework to support the optional use
>of compression ...

This is an interesting thought.  The IPSEC framework is also potentially of
great interest for dial-up access at relatively low speeds.  In this case,
compression contributes strongly to delay, and thus to performance as
perceived by the user.  It would be very unfortunate if IPSEC were to
preclude effective compression.

This argues, I think, for incorporating optional compression into the
framework itself, as Bob suggests.

Cheers,
-- Scott