Re: proposed IPSEC changes/extensions

Folks,

        I think the concensus is that we should NOT include compression in
ESP, for a bariety of reasons.  So, the revised ESP document will not
include ANY hooks for compression, reserved fields, etc.  Note, however,
that we are moving away from the notion of transforms as bundled sets of
algorithms described in a single document.  Instead, we are defining the
algorithms separately, and the notion of a transform will appear only in a
document that describes the combinations of algorithms that are negotiated
during SA establishment.  It will cite these algorithms by reference to
appropriate RFCs, but wil not provide processing descriptions, etc.  Thus I
do not see how to include compression into ESP processing at some later
time.  If we keep it as a separate protocol, that's fine, but don't count
on some more optimized version that is tightly integrated into ESP.

Steve