Re: proposed IPSEC changes/extensions

Bob,

        I sent my message prior to receiving any of your responses this
morning; sorry if I may have jumped the gun!  The group needs to decide if
we are going to try to get compression, maybe just a place holder for
compression, into ESP at this juncture.  One of your messages from earlier
today argued that there is generic utility for IP-layer compression,
independent of ESP.  This might argue for a separate protocol, rather than
an ESP-specific instance of a generic protocol.  I'm really quite neutral
here;  if there is agreement that providing for compression in ESP (vs. a
separate protocol) is a good idea, I'll put in the hooks for it as
specified by those of you who have been working the problem.  One the other
hand, I do see both the concern over delaying ESP to add in the requisite
hooks, or the delay associated with introducing a new compression protocol
for use at the IP layer, independent of ESP.  Both arguments have merit.

Steve