Re: compression and encryption

Rodney Thayer writes:
> When my customers have run compression I've seen them find acceptable
> benefit from using non-history-based compression, which is to say I
> feel it's fine to do a reset after every packet.  This case side-steps
> your analysis.  I don't have enough information at my fingertips to
> confirm your simulation matches the field data I have seen.

Considering that compression is most likely to benefit "bulk data
transfer", such as ftp & web (with relatively large packet sizes); and
considering that compression doesn't help much in non-bulk activities
such as telnet (with small packet sizes), perhaps non-history-based
compression might be a reasonable approach.

However, perhaps much of the bulk data transfer that takes place is
pre-compressed for archival storage anyway, and therefore is basically
incompressible.  Would this remain true for secured transmissions too?

--
Leonard Samuelson, Ascend Communications, Inc.   614-326-6824