Re: AH (without ESP) on a secure gateway

>      My question is whether AH on a secure gateway even makes sense at all
>      if ESP is not being performed.
>
>      Consider hostA sending a packet to hostB.  If gatewayA places an AH on
>      the packet, it would appear as if it was authenticated by hostA, not a
>      good idea in my mind.

If a router places an AH on the packet, it must do so using an
outbound SPI to some other host/router.

The corresponding inbound SPI on that host should specify that the
sender is a gateway, not a host.

The "policy engines" on each end need to be sophisticated enough to
deal with things like this.  In particular, if ip-address based access
controls are in use, then the policy engine should probably do
consistency checks between the SPI and the source address..

						- Bill

Follow-Ups: References: