Re: replay counter size

Derrell Piper wrote sometime back:
> The latest HMAC AH draft (the one following
Montreal) specifies a 64-bit
> replay field.  The latest Combined ESP draft uses
only a 32-bit field.

> Jim, was it your intention for these specs to diverge
like this?  I
> would like to understand why these fields need to be
different for AH
> and ESP.  I would rather see them be the same.  I
personally believe that
> 2^32 packets is too much data to encrypt under one
key anyway, so I
> think 32-bits is the right number.  But I'm more
concerned that AH and
> ESP be equally protected.
>
> I recall some discussion in Montreal about the
performance of replay
> window checks being dependent on the underlying
hardware register size,
> which supports our desire to make this
implementation dependent.  I do
> not recall discussing changing the replay counter
from 32 to 64 bits,
> though I confess to being a bit late for the first
working group meeting,
> due to not being able to get into the room due to
overcrowding.

I don't remember that I saw an explanation about the
question on the
mailing list.  To me, different replay counter size for
different AH/ESP
transforms would definitely complicate an IPsec
implementation in terms
of storing and using the per session (SA) replay
checking state - the
largest counter seen so far.  I'd appreciate that
someone could enlighten
me on this.

CJ Lee  (cj_lee@novell.com)