Re: ISAKMP DELETE payload

1996]
Originating-Client: cavedog.ftp.com
Sender: owner-ipsec@portal.ex.tis.com

>>   Also, I would suggest that ISAKMP doc should state explicitly that a
>> DELETE payload should be sent together with a HASH paylaod, assuming that
>> is the intention of ISAKMP.
>
>Does this belong in the ISAKMP doc or in the ISAKMP/Oakley doc? The
>ISAKMP/Oakley doc outlines which of the ISAKMP exchanges it uses and
>then adds the additional ones. Should they also specify how to use
>Informational Exchanges within the context of an IPSEC DOI using Oakley
>or should this be done in the ISAKMP doc? If I specify it in the ISAKMP
>doc then any DOI/Key Exchange would have to use it in the way
>specified. The splitting of the details from the ISAKMP doc to the
>other docs was to eliminate this. Would appreciate any other opinions
>on this issue?

Given that:
- DELETE payloads only have meaning when under the protection of an
ISAKMP SA,
- Oakley is a specific transform used for establishing ISAKMP SAs under
the IPSEC DOI (and in fact is the only transform fully defined so far for
this DOI),
- it is the transform which defines the encryption and hash algorithms in
use, and how to derive keys for those algorithms,

then the definition of how to protect a DELETE payload in the Informational
exchange must be part of the transform document, which in this case is the
ISAKMP/Oakley draft.

I was working under the (possibly incorrect) assumption that the way
to protect the Informational exchange under ISAKMP/Oakley would be the
same as the way the Oakley Quick Mode and New Group Mode exchanges are
protected - namely, by encryption with the key derived from SKEYID_e.

-Shawn Mamros
E-mail to: mamros@ftp.com