SA Attribute Negotiation

I am a little unclear as to how to negotiate variable length SA
attributes, such as any of the Duration attributes.

Are these variable length attributes non negotiable?  Simply stated by
the initiator and accepted by the responder?

If not how are we supposed to handle differences in values?  It would
seem impractical to reject a proposal because the requested Key Duration
was not exactly that expected.  Is it local policy as to what to do
(i.e. accept shorter durations, but reject longer)?

I took a quick look at the Cisco code and it looks like variable length
attributes are not negotiated.
from the comments...

	 * a value of a VPI cannot be specified in a protection suite.
	 * Therefore if att_type is non-zero the matching attribute be basic.

or is this an implementation issue?

Thanks.
Bye.
----