Re: Replay counter sizes: AH vs ESP -Reply

> 	The AH and ESP are designed to be used with both IPv4 and IPv6.  IPv6
> _requires_ 64-bit alignment, which causes more bandwidth to be consumed in
> various places, while IPv4 does not require this.  In order to avoid
> gratuitously consuming IPv4 bandwidth on an IPv6-only requirement, the replay
> counter sizes were made selectable.

I must have missed this.  Personally, I think a negotiated replay counter
adds unnecessary complexity to the protocol.  I'd much rather see a fixed
64-bit field than a negotiated one.  In any case, neither the AH nor ESP
drafts describe this field as negotiable and they continue to assert
different sizes for the field.  This has not been addressed in the drafts.

Derrell