Re: ISAKMP DOI Question (General, Not IP Specific)

<Pine.LNX.3.94.961218131355.3555A-100000@P-spatsch.cs.arizona.edu> from
"Oliver Spatscheck" at Dec 18, 96 01:15:54 pm
Sender: owner-ipsec@portal.ex.tis.com

> >On outbbound calls there is no notion of a SPI. The only information
> >available to identify an SA is:
> >
> >Destination Addr
> >Port number
> >
> I think that is an API question. Our API allows to attach a SPI to
> outbound traffic at the application layer.

I agree with Oliver and Ran that on outbound data, you can (or should be able
to) specify quite a bit about what properties you want in your SA (or SAs).

What worries me a little here (Steve Bellovin, help me out here anytime you
wish!  :) is that I can specify the actually security association of the
outbound traffic.

On a single-user system, this isn't so bad, but on a multi-user box with
malicious users, this could cause all sorts of chosen-plaintext problems.

Just a thought.
--
Daniel L. McDonald | Mail: danmcd@eng.sun.com   Phone: (415) 786-6815        +
Software Engineer  | *** My opinions aren't necessarily Sun's opinions! ***  |