Re: ISAKMP DOI Question (General, Not IP Specific)

[this is a bit of a change in topic..]

>It depends on your local policy.  I've never quite understood why
>SPI's (as names standing for SA's) aren't under access control.  If
>Alice creates it, why should Bob be allowed to use it?

Actually, AH/ESP SPI's are not particularly convenient names for SA's
from the point of view of applications.

 1) They're unidirectional.  Knowing the inbound SPI a message was
protected with doesn't give you the outbound SPI to use for a reply to
the message..

 2) At least some of them expire and get replaced over time.

Because of these factors, I don't think SPI's should be visible at the
"normal" API; some sort of local-only "SA-set" identifier may be more
appropriate.

(In the case of the sockets API, it might make sense to put it into
the sockaddr; that way any program which just swaps the source and
destination sockaddrs to construct the reply will Do The Right Thing.
this is not likely to be an option for IPv4, but might be for IPv6..).

						- Bill

Follow-Ups: References: