Re: Comment regarding draft-mcdonald-pf-key-v2-00.txt

> Assuming the kernel is supposed to generate the IV, why not
> allow the PF_KEY interface transfer an IV? It seems to me, if an
> external hardware were available, random data would be best
> obtained by a user level application rather than the kernel.

I don't agree.

 1) Assuming we're talking about UNIX-like systems (monolithic large
kernel), I'm not sure this statement is really true.. especially given
the work by Don Davis and others sampling randomness from disk drives
and Ted Ts'o's /dev/random driver for linux (which also exports a
kernel-internal API for kernel code which needs strong randomness).

 2) even if it were true, I don't think PF_KEY is the right place to
put a "deliver random bitstream to kernel" interface.  For any number
of reasons, you really want a "pipe" of randomness, not a
request-response protocol.

					- Bill