Re: pf_key comments

Hilarie Orman says:
>>> Does the IV have to be *unpredictably* different, or just different?
>>
>> Just different.
>
> Phil Rogaway has pointed out that if the IV and the first data block are
> both changing so as to cause their xor to be constant, the purpose of
> the IV is defeated.

Cute!

> I don't know if this has ever been observed in practice, but it
> is something to keep in mind (I suppose someone now will try to design
> this into a protocol as some kind of optimization!).

(:-)

Considering that IV has nothing to do with the data block, I'd
say the chance to see this in practice is nil.

Could anybody comment on this? Was/is there ever a case when IV
was somehow data-dependent?

Oh, and when you use the last ciphertext from the last message
as the IV for the next message,  due to ciphertext properties
of any semi-decent cipher this should be a no-issue. Correct?
--
Regards,
Uri		uri@watson.ibm.com