Re: IPsec DES slowdown

> Date:          Mon, 20 Jan 1997 10:30:27 -0500
> From:          graydon hoare <admin@multinet.net>
> To:            ipsec@tis.com
> Subject:       Re: IPsec DES slowdown

> Terry L. Davis, Boeing Information & Support Services, Bellevue, WA
> wrote:
>
> > and using lighter weight cypher solutions to protect less critical
> > ones my make sense.  If we can't successfully use strong encryption
> > on all connections, we'd still like to be able to encrypt all of them
> > even if this requires use of lighter encryption forms for some.
>
> I agree -- it's a huge waste to apply the strongest cryptography to
> everything that runs through your system. 99% of everything placed on an
> internet server is zero-security, public data. Even if you embed
> authentication data (eg. signatures) you don't need to make things
> totally unreadable unless they deal with private property (i.e. cash,
> secrets). To make things unsnoopable, you just need to make it
> sufficiently obscure where to snoop. I think you'll get the same atitude
> from VISA and mastercard: they have realized that it would cost them
> more to implement some stronger protection scheme across the board than
> it does to deal with the fraud & stealing.
>
> -graydon <graydon@pobox.com>

> well...you can study all your cranial anatomy charts and read all the
> textbooks, but y'know... once you get inside it all kinda looks the same
> Nonono don't touch that -- you never know what it might be attached to
> -b.banzai

There is a compnay called Rainbow Technologies.  They lcoated in Irvine
California.  They provide a hardware encrytion solution for this problem.
Can somehow the hardware solution and software solution combind together?

Wayne Yu,  Director of Technology
ConsumerInfo.Com, Inc.
Phone (714)978-0078 ext. 1010
Fax   (714)978-0059