Re: IPsec hardware accelerators (Rainbow warning)

> > There is a compnay called Rainbow Technologies.  They lcoated in
> > Irvine California.  They provide a hardware encrytion solution for
> > this problem.  Can somehow the hardware solution and software
> > solution combind together?
>
> Thanks for the pointer.
>
> One "hardware encryption solution" Rainbow provides is the Clipper
> Chip. (Rainbow bought Mykotronx in 1985.)  The Clipper Chip and its
> follow-on products are not compatible with the IPSEC protocols,
> because they use an undocumented encryption algorithm and because
> they are designed to undermine rather than provide secure operation.
>
> . . . much discussion of Rainbow snipped
>
> If any working group members know of useful hardware crypto
> accelerators available from non-US companies (for the world market),
> please let me know.  I'd like to see hardware acceleration
> supported, but not using US-only and/or likely-subverted products.
>
>  John Gilmore

Not a working group member, but an interested lurker.

A couple of years ago I worked on a project where we did application
level encryption for a networked financial system using
public nets, (actually the Aus. stock exchange) and we used a PC
hardware card from a firm called Eracom. I don't know what the
current range of products is, but last I heard they were doing a lot
of stuff for banks with ATM traffic and such. They are located on the
Gold Coast in Queensland, Australia and the contact info I have for
them is:    Tel: +61 (7) 5593 4911  Fax: +61 (7) 5593 4388
    Telex: AA43943
The cards were available for well under $A1K and the technical
support was great.

--
John Chalk, Software Engineer, DSI Pty Ltd
Tel: +61 (7) 3371 7655  Fax: +61 (7) 3870 5647