Re: test vectors for HMAC-SHA-1 - Test Data and Bad News

In message <01BC1441.F2502660@localhost>, Edward Russell writes:

> O.K., O.K., C. Harald Koch gets the "Mirror Image" award for spotting what
> should have been obvious to us.  But understand, we're running on only a
> handful of hours of sleep trying to get us all to interoperate. :-)  I don't think
> I would characterize this as an "endian" problem though as that as more
> to do with byte arrangement within shorts and longs - I doubt the problem
> is caused by one platform compiled with the wrong byte order defined.

Thanks for the award :-)

I agree that it's not strictly an endian problem. I first discovered it when
comparing the results for some public-domain MD5 code between a SPARC
machine (big-endian) and an Intel machine (little-endian), and so the
problem has been tagged "endian" in my brain ever since.

> We'll try to establish if the same is true at the end of a Diffie Hellman exchange,
> but that will be a little trickier.

I'm crossing my fingers...

--
C. Harald Koch          | Senior System Developer, Secure Computing Canada Ltd.
chk@border.com          | 100 University Ave., 7th Floor, Toronto ON M5J 1V6