RE: replay field size

ESP ad AH _should_ be very similar and thus utilize the same features.
 Having one use a 32-bit replay counter and the other use a 64-bit one
is silly as Derrell stated.  If 64-bit alignment is required, as in
IPv6, then padding should be appended to the end of the header if it
is needed due to the size of the digest algorithm used.

Why was RFC2085 (HMAC-MD5 IP Authentication with Replay Prevention)
released with a 64-bit replay counter if so many of us objected?

Furthermore, why wasn't a generic digest algorithm RFC released
(HMAC-x Authentication) instead?  We must standardize the common
elements of our IPSEC protocols.  Things like Replay Counter, HMAC,
Digest Algorithms, Cipher Algorithms, generation of Keys from keying
material.  All of these common elements should be the same for all
'transforms' and not have to be re-defined/re-invented in every
transform RFC.  Can you imagine every cipher algorithm defining a
different way to generate its keys and IV from the keying material?

We should be able to just plug in a new cipher algorithm and a new
digest algorithm without having to re-invent the wheel.  Just plug in
their identifiers and go...The common RFCs (ESP, AH, IPSEC-DOI) should
define how to this without having to write a new transform RFC.  This
way we do not need to create a new transform RFC for every combination
of parameters.  For example, 3DES-Replay-HMAC-SHA1-LZS, has five
parameters; cipher algorithm, replay, keyed function, digest
algorithm, and compression algorithm.  With five parameters we can
have quite a lot of transform RFCs.

    Cipher Algorithm:       None, DES, 3DES, RC5, Blowfish, IDEA
    Replay Protection:      No Replay, Replay
    Keyed Function:         None, Keyed, HMAC
    Digest Algorithm:       None, MD5, SHA1, Tiger
    Compression Algorithm:  None, LZS, GZIP

    6 * 2 * 3 * 4 * 3 = 432 different transform RFC combinations!!!