RE: replay field size straw poll

1) AH and ESP should have a fixed size replay counter (Yes).

It should NOT be negotiable what size the replay field is.  It should
be optional whether you use the space or not.

For all the talk about padding, which I still claim is irrelevant to the issue of replay,  if we
allow the field to come and go, alignment issues become even crazier.
Why don't we always leave the field there but make it optional if you use it.
If your negotiated SA indicates no replay, leave garbage in it and don't check it.
If your negotiated SA indicates use replay, then use the space accordingly.

Whatever we decide, the DOI needs to be updated to reflect the decision.

2) The fixed size should be 32 bits.

32.

3) SHA should be truncated to 128 bits?

I don't know about this one.  I'm not qualified to answer this question.  I'm inclined
to believe Hugo so.....  I leave it to the experts and implement as directed, but I'm
inclined to say, chop it short.

Now, are we going to argue about the separate issue of padding?

-Rob Adams
Cisco Systems