Re: replay field size

Steve,

  For the case where the algorithm is DES, I have no problems with
your analysis.

  For the case where the algorithm is something new that appears in
future that might be significantly stronger, then the limit of 2^^32
might well be a significant issue.  With negotiable counter sizes or
per-algorithm counter sizes, this would not be an issue.  With a fixed
size counter, using 2^^32 for all time is an issue IMHO.  However,
a 2^^64 counter space would not have that issue and would still be
a fixed size counter.

  As to the 64-bit math, I'm not very concerned -- based on my work on
several different IPv6 implementations and the currently 128-bit
addresses (and the routing calculations that go along with that address
size).  This was NOT a problem on an Intel Pentium.

Ran
rja@inet.org

Follow-Ups: References: