Re: TO COMPRESS OR NOT TO CMPRS (please reply)

Daniel Harkins wrote:
> >  I know that there are some wg members who support the use of compression,
> >  some who don't and some who haven't expressed an interest either way. Well,
> >  the time has come to decide. PLEASE RESPOND BY INDICATING YOUR POSITION.
> >  Be sure to copy the wg list in your reply.
>
> I support the use of compression but not in IPsec. It should be done up
> higher, perhaps the transport level. It's better to compress the stream
> of data before it's divided into packets than to wait and compress each
> packet. I'd rather see 50 packets then 100 smaller ones.

Compression allows for saving a valuable ressource. This might be done on
intermediate systems (e.g. firewalls) which also care about enterprise
security and to encryption. Usually in those systems no upper layer is
available.

I support compression as an optional (and important) function in ESP.

Germano

Follow-Ups: References: