Re: TO COMPRESS OR NOT TO CMPRS (please reply)

----------
> From: Karl Fox <karl@ascend.com>
> Date: Tuesday, February 18, 1997 10:09 AM
...snip...
> This is not universally true; it depends on the compression algorithm.
> Consider, for example, Van Jacobson TCP/IP header compression, an
> algorithm which should definitely be one of those available for use
> within ESP.

Karl,
The proposed compression mechanism is aimed at the ESP payload data field
and (from my limited understanding) VJ header compression operates on the
segment/packet headers only. So, I don't see them as alternatives as much
as complements to each other. There would certainlyh have to be agreement
(perhaps KMP negotiation) between the communicating parties to perform VJ
header compression. If I recall correctly, I believe that there is a draft
somewhere that proposes VJ compression on IPv6 headers.

-Bob