Re: TO COMPRESS OR NOT TO CMPRS (please reply)

Bob Monsour writes:
> While GIF files do likely make up a large percentage of traffic over
> dial-up links, I don't imagine that security functionality will be
> enabled/negotiated while viewing web pages.

I see you haven't heard of SSL, eh?

Security is very big on the web. People -- and I mean ordinary
consumers -- want to conduct transactions over it. With a reasonable
IPSec in place, SSL wouldn't have been necessary. SSL is used every
day by millions of people to keep their credit card data away from
prying eyes.

> I would expect that security functionality would be engaged wnnhen
> tunneling into the corporate network over the internet.

Security is useful most of the time, actually. I suspect that someday,
almost all traffic will be secure.

Certainly at 28.8kbps the added CPU burden is unnoticeable, so why
*not* encrypt everything?

Perry

Follow-Ups: References: