Re: TO COMPRESS OR NOT TO CMPRS (please reply)

At 04:14 PM 2/17/97 -0800, you wrote:
>1. What is the status of adding compression to ESP?
>   PLEASE RESPOND BY INDICATING YOUR POSITION.

I don't support compression at the network layer.  It adds significant
complexity for minimal, and short-lived savings.  With the exponentially
increasing volume of pre-compressed traffic (graphics, multimedia,
compressed archives, etc.), compression is actually happening at the (dare
I say it?) presentation layer.  The only way to make a rational decision
about whether to compress a connection is to know whether or not the data
is already compressed, and this seems to break layering.

For the record, I agree with Perry and his "encrypt everything" position.
Our internal IT organization is pushing for this to be the case as soon as
possible, since most of our problems seem to be from internal people with
legitimate access to the network doing illegitimate things.

-JR
John W. Richardson          (Please note that my opinions are my own and
jwr@ibeam.intel.com                not necessarily shared by Intel)
+1 503 264 9425
19 57 B1 04 1F 5D F9 F0                          7C 2C 5E D2 DD 7A 19 A5