Re: TO COMPRESS OR NOT TO CMPRS (please reply)

In my experience path MTU discovery is not always present.  I think it
should be, but since we're considering the real world here (right?) I think
you can't rely on that.

At 12:13 PM 2/19/97 -0500, you wrote:

>Roy Pereira writes:
>> To me the biggest benefit of using compression within ESP is the fact
>> that I wont have to FRAGMENT as many packets as I would normally due to
>> the addition of ESP's 40+ byte overhead.
>>
>> Fragmentation can slow down links considerably, especially when they are
>> low-speed (28.8k), thus anything that helps prevent fragmentation is a
>> "good thing".
>
>I don't understand this at all.
>
>If you have path MTU discovery, why would you ever fragment?
>
>Perry

--------
Rodney Thayer <rodney@sabletech.com>
PGP Fingerprint: BB1B6428 409129AC  076B9DE1 4C250DD8