transport vs network and ipsec syn

Subject: Re[2]: TO COMPRESS OR NOT TO CMPRS (please reply)
Author:  Arthur Parkos at renpo
Date:    2/28/97 12:13 PM

i agree with your transport vs network security comments.  i also agree that we
will see both forms of implementation for the particular situations that fit
them best.

one question (multipart), i was not sure how ipsec addresses the syn attack:

- it's not guaranteed that all connections will be attempted with ipsec
authentication instantiated. therefore a host will still need to respond to the
request for a connection. or will a host refuse all connect attempts from
non-ipsec host.
- if ipsec is implemented, the host will still need to perform an authentication
on the potential partner which would eat cpu cycles.
- if ipsec is there, the host receives the connect attempt and retrieves the
address, so what if it was signed.  couldn't a bad entity sign fake ip addresses
and then send them on to a potential host to be attacked?
- when will the infrastructure be in place so that a host can authenticate a
connection attempt from the myriad potential connectees where certificates may
have been issued by different certificate authorities