Re: truncation

Could someone remind us where the justification is for truncation?  I
remember in San Jose, Hugo stood up and said it was a good idea.  I don't
remember where it got discussed or what papers were referenced/etc.  I
realize this probably went by sometime in the past two months but I don't
recall when.

At 08:19 PM 3/9/97 -0500, you wrote:
>>   Yes, the HMAC hash's will be truncated to 96 bits.  I hope to have the
>>   "new" AH-HMAC drafts out sometime next week.  I can't speak for
>>   Jim Hughes draft.
>
>>   Rob G.
>
>>   Rob Adams wrote:
>>   >
>>   > Did we ever decide definitively on truncating MD5 and SHA hash's to
96 bits?
>>   > I think we did but I just want to be clear.
>>   >
>>   > Also, how does this apply to the Hughes Combined transform?  Do we
truncate
>>   > the MD5 hash there also?  I hope so for uniformity's sake.
>>   >
>>   > -Rob
>
>The MD5 truncation is not recommended.
>
>Hilarie

--------
Rodney Thayer <rodney@sabletech.com>
PGP Fingerprint: BB1B6428 409129AC  076B9DE1 4C250DD8