Re: Closing out the COMPRESSION discussion

At 06:57 AM 3/19/97 -0800, Bob Monsour wrote:
>Would someone like to suggest where to take the discussion from here?

Unfortunately, this straw vote occured over a time where my mail was hosed
from multiple sources (maybe someone was out to get me ;).

Compression is a must deliver for remote, dialup users.  These will number
in their thousands in the corporate arena. In fact, until IPsec is deployed
internally in corporations, remote systems will represent the lion share of
the market and the dollar volume (even with gateways costing more than ws
code).

If this group does not address compression head-on, someone(s) will do it
and publish, at best, an informational RFC of how they did it and vendors
will move down that road to compete in the market. ie the market decides.

Get off the dime, people.  Chrysler alone currently fields 6000 notebooks
with another 1000 on order.  We plan on putting IPsec into all of them
4Q97.  The vendor that delivers compression will get our attention.  Ford,
GM, UTA, TRW, PACCAR, John Deere, etc have similar needs.  We will work as
a consolidated group (to an extent of course :) to get product that meets
our needs.

I welcome Bob's efforts.  It is a careful balance of functionality and
interoperability.  I invite him to bring his approach to round 3 or 4 of
our testing/piloting of IPsec.  I'd rather it be an IPsec wg methodology.

I can dance around no compression for a little while, but I've been
chartered by the AIAG to deliver the goods, securely.....

Robert Moskowitz
Chrysler Corporation
(810) 758-8212

Follow-Ups: References: