RE: Closing out the COMPRESSION discussion

	At 10:03 AM 3/19/97 -0800, Glen Zorn wrote:
	>I'm not sure I understand your point, Bob.  Surely most (if not
all)
	>dial-up users will be using PPP, which already offers
compression.  What
	>am I missing?

	Once you encrypt you cannot compress, or else there is something
wrong with
	your crypto, as I understand it.  Thus PPP compression would
only act on
	the PPP and IP header stuff.

	Yes, you wouldn't get a very good compression factor at least.

	No offense, Glen,

	None taken!

	but this question tends to indicate that you have missed
	a big part of the compression discussion.

	That answers one question; I'll shut up an d listen for awhile.
Perhaps it was just that I dropped in on the middle of the conversation,
but I was puzzled as to what compression had to do w/security.

	Another reason given for IPsec compression is to get a packet to
fit into
	an IP tunnel payload.  The argument against this is that MTU
discovery
	should handle this problem.

	Robert Moskowitz
	Chrysler Corporation