Re: "Pillage first, then burn" - Attila the Hun

At 05:32 PM 3/20/97 -0800, Steve Sneddon wrote:

>Email to the IPSec list has its place, and formal presentations have their
>place, but I believe you (HiFn) and I (Cisco) need to host an informal
>BOF-like discussion in Memphis around this topic in the hope that it can
>help move opinion forward. Maybe Tuesday evening would work.

I hope we can fit this into the main IPsec session.  I seem to think I have
some IAB meeting tues night.

>At that session, I propose that we discuss Cisco's results with compression
>in an IPSec-type environment. We have tied LZS into our client stack and are
>now accumulating data on what it can do for you. We should present that data
>to the community, even if it's in pretty raw form (which it will be!) at
>that time. Who knows, we may even be ready to demo a compression-enabled
>IPSec implementation by then (watch as five Cisco engineers slaughter me in
>Email for saying this...). I will also be prepared to discuss ways that
>Cisco can assist others with their implementations.

Gee do I know those 5 engineers?  Aren't they already very busy next week?

>One final point. Some people worry that working on compression now will slow
>down IPSec standards work. While I understand that concern, it is more than
>outweighed in my mind by how seriously a lack of compression would impede
>actual customer adoption of this technology. In fact, Cisco does not plan to
>release an IPSec implementation until there is a plan, which we can
>communicate clearly to customers, about how and when we will be doing
>compression in that environment. This is the result of significant customer
>backlash to lack of compression in our now-shipping but non-standard
>encryption offering.

I can do my boarder to boarder without compression, but workstation to
boarder I need it or I will get slaughtered by the whole auto community.
And they use heavy wheeled methods over here...

Robert Moskowitz
Chrysler Corporation
(810) 758-8212