Re: Proposed changes to ESP (andf a little AH too)

> I understand the rationale, but want to make sure I understand exactly what
> you are proposing. Are you saying that in ESP, the sender would encrypt the
> payload and then calculate the MAC over the encrypted payload?

Normally I tend to like things which improve performance, but I don't
really like this proposal, for robustness reasons; it allows errors in
encryption or decryption to go undetected, while doing the MAC over
the plaintext provides better assurance that the data was decrypted
correctly.

Consider the case where the encryption key gets smashed but the
authentication key is intact ..  you get authentic gibberish out of
the transform instead of a hard indication that something's out of
synch between the endpoints.

					- Bill

Follow-Ups: References: