Re: "Pillage first, then burn" - Attila the Hun

At 12:50 PM 3/21/97 -0600, James Hughes wrote:
>"Press release first, then develop" - (Name withheld by request)

OK, I admit, you made me :=).

>Again, I hesitate to answer this.
>
>I seem to see that there are people that again claim that their intentions
>and experiments are more valuable than product experience in a compression
>with encryption product. The NSC product won the Best of Show at INTEROP
>'95. It had compression then, and it has it now.

Then I hope we can figure out a way to work together toward the goal of
getting standards in this area. Let's discuss any commercial issues outside
of the IETF list.

>On Thu, Mar 20, 1997 7:32 PM, Steve Sneddon <mailto:sned@cisco.com> wrote:
>> Email to the IPSec list has its place, and formal presentations have
>their
>> place, but I believe you (HiFn) and I (Cisco) need to host an informal
>> BOF-like discussion in Memphis around this topic in the hope that it can
>> help move opinion forward. Maybe Tuesday evening would work.
>
>In my heart, I know that cisco -is- the pre-eminent vendor of eveything
>important and we are not.  NSC does have 2+ years of experience with
>implementing, deploying and real traffic with products that have packet
>level compression and encryption. This is actual experience, not
>conjecture. This is also true from the legal, commercial as well as the
>technical areas.
>
>I find that Cisco claiming the right to lead the discussions and host such
>a BOF to be incredulous.

I said an "informal BOF-like discussion". I have something very informal and
totally unofficial and off the record in mind. We'll have plenty of occasion
for real sessions at the official meeting. If you want to help lead it,
great. I'll find the hall, and you can bring the pizza. :=)

[The rest of this message is best answered off the mailing list. I'll send
you private mail.]