Re: Proposed changes to ESP (andf a little AH too)

Steve,

In your 23 Mar 1997 note, you wrote:

> As for the window size issue, I agree that one can simply decline
> to negotiate a size of 1, as a means of addressing this issue.  However, I
> really believe that a size of 1 is so awful that it ought not be allowed.
> Moreover, only a size of 1 is proposed as required so far, and if we say
> dom't do 1, then we cannot rely on anyone doing 32 (and multiples thereof)
> instead.  So, that's why I'd like to change to make 32 a MUST support, and
> multiples of 32 be recommemded optional window sizes.

I can understand that mandatory window size of 1 is not a good idea: it force
to drop every single out-of-order packet. But I don't see any good reason to
force the window size to be 32*X (X >= 1). Shouldn't people be allowed to pick
up any smaller number, let us say 8 or 16, as best fit their application?
Window size of 32*X when X>=2 is quite big to me considering that it is a per
destination/per security association figure.

Regards,
Hsin