Re: the COMPRESSION discussion

I have tried to keep my nose out of this debate, but Memphis is approaching
rapidly (must have put it on one of the Fedex jets) and we need to come to
cloture real soon.

   From: Stephen Kent <kent@bbn.com>
	   So, I'd like to see us proceed as follows to add compression to our
   specs, if the WG agrees:
	   - have the architecture document describe the optional use of
   compression within ESP, to be negotiated on a per-SA basis
	   - define in the relevant ISAKMP documents how to negotiate compression
	   - set aside the high order bit from the ESP padding field to
   indicate if compression has been applied to an individual packet
	   - define in ESP the scope of compression and any alignment
   considerations applicable to the use of compression
	   - define compression algorithms for ESP use in separate base
   documents, which can have backpointers to the architecture, ESP, and ISAKMP
   docs

This looks like a good plan to me.

				-Jeff