Proposed changes to ESP (andf a little AH too)

Ref:  Your note of Tue, 25 Mar 1997 11:56:26 -0500 (attached)

I agree with both Bill's note attached here,
and Dave Wagner's comments in a recent note.

If the choice would be pure cryptographic I might be inclined for the
current authenticate-the-plaintext (and encrypt the MAC) approach.
It better captures the real objective which is to authenticate the
plaintext rather than the ciphertext.
However, the other approach is not bad enough as to be immediately
disqualified.

If authenticate-the-ciphertext is chosen, it will be important to have
some remarks in the draft in the lines of Dave's note.

The real question to decide in this WG is whether the advantage against
denial of service attacks provided by the authenticate-the-ciphertext
approach is important enough to risk even further delay of ipsec
deployment (which is also a form of denial-of-service attack :)

In other words, if any of these discussion cannot be resolved by Memphis
leave it the way it is now and go forward.

Hugo