Re: MUST vs. SHOULD audit

In message <199704021520.KAA18004@earth.hpc.org>, Hilarie Orman writes:
> Of course interoperability is the main point of the spec, but is the
> discussion so far well-founded?  I'm a little confused by the
> mentioned, as long as it's "should", but a "must" is declared out of
> scope for a protocol specification.  That doesn't seem logical; if
> you're in for a "should", then you're in for a "must".

>From RFC 2119:

    1. MUST   This word, or the terms "REQUIRED" or "SHALL", mean that the
       definition is an absolute requirement of the specification.

    3. SHOULD   This word, or the adjective "RECOMMENDED", mean that there
       carefully weighed before choosing a different course.

I'd postulate that "must if possible" is the same as "should", given these
definitions of the words.

--
Harald Koch <chk@utcc.utoronto.ca>