Re: Another pothole in ISAKMP/Oakley

  David,

> A problem occurs when a man-in-the-middle forces each DH exponential into
> a small subgroup, by raising each number to the power of q.  Both
> legitimate parties
> will derive the same key K, but it will be confined to one of "t" possible
> values,
> making it easy for the middleman to guess it.

But since each exponential is authenticated I don't see how this is a problem.
A middleman changing *anything*-- exponentials, initial offer of EHA-- will
result in a failed authentication (page 9 of draft).

This does seem to be a particularly devious sort of attack but I don't think
ISAKMP/Oakley is susceptible.

  Dan.