Re: Small subgroups and ISAKMP/Oakley

>  > With regard to having one party force a bad key, it is still possible for
>  > the second party to choose and exponential that forces many of the key
>  > bits to a known value, thus opening up some room for a passive attacker.
>  > There's no trick to this, it simply requires a lot of fast computation.

>  By "still possible" do you mean even if the first party checks for
>  confinement?

Yes.  There's no number theory involved, just trial-and-error.  The
reason I mention this is that I think that confinement is overall a
minor problem (because there are so many reasonable ways to avoid it)
and that worrying about confinement with an authenticated but
unscrupulous conversant is even more minor.  For comparison I offer
the brute force method, an attack that is ignored because there is no
cure.  At least, I don't know of one.

Hilarie