Re: Comments on draft-ietf-ipsec-new-auth-00.txt

> Perhaps I am missing something important, but I've never understood the
> justification for negotiating replay window sizes.

I also agree, and have been disheartened by the number of times the
above question has been asked but not answered.  Indeed, it has been
my impression that the vast majority of IP packets are delivered in
order (one reason why TCP's header prediction works well in
practice). It is rare in practice to have packets arrive out of
order. Which begs the question of whether a window is even
needed. Does someone have data that argues otherwise?

In any case, this is certainly a receiver issue *only*.

Thomas

Follow-Ups: References: