Re: notes from developer's portion of IETF meeting

Authonly ESP seems both simple and useful, to me.  And the performance
penalty due to AH header handling might turn out to be the limiting
factor at high speeds.

RE the recollection:

 >As I recall, integrity is required for security _only_ when there are
 >mutually hostile users on multi-user systems at both ends of the
 >connection/path.  These multi-user systems "know" that they require
 >integrity, and can negotiate it appropriately.

This idea has always puzzled me.  Surely block ciphers without some kind of
integrity are insecure in any active attack environment.

Hilarie